Thursday, 29 October 2015

More than just a pet




I would like to introduce you to someone very special in my life, he goes by the name Toby and he's a border collie and he never fails to put a smile on my face, as you can see by the photo he's always got a huge smile on his face.

His story hasn't always been full of happiness when we first got him, he had been neglected, not given any toys or had proper food and had flat teeth from where he chewed stones out of boredom, it means he gets very anxious around other dogs- we don't know his full story but despite all he's been through he's such a clever, attentive dog, and is the soppiest dog I've ever met.

From speaking to others with dyspraxia I have found out so much how their pets have had a huge impact on themselves and their families lives. I've been surrounded by dogs all my life and walking a dog helped me gain my independence, helped me be aware of the world around me and helped with crossing roads as I knew I had to get the dog safely across the road as me. It helped me feel more confident going out on my own.

Pets never judge us, they're always happy to see us, always show us love, and appreciate the care we give them and have a wagging tail or a purr when they greet us, and can provide comfort, company and happiness in darker times, as a lot of people with dyspraxia struggle in social situations or have been bullied, having a pet can help someone smile, and give someone a little bit of a confidence boost.

When I feel down or anxious Toby can sense it and will come over for a cuddle which has a huge calming affect on me or more often than not bring one of his many toys, he has an obsession with balls and could play for days, which can provide a distraction from my anxiety and given me the courage to leave the house sometimes on a bad day. Apart from the time I got his ball on a rope stuck in a tree twice on one walk (he was not a happy dog.) He also helps me find my smile on days when I struggle to find one.

To those of you who don't have a pet it may seem like it's just a pet, but a pet becomes a member of the family, he really is treated like a human and  having a pet can give someone so much comfort and confidence. Saying goodbye to him when I leave to go to London breaks my heart every time, but knowing when I return he'll be  there waiting, ears pricked listening for when he can hear my footsteps and voice coming through the door and then come bounding towards me knowing I'm home- my happiness.




2 comments:

  1. Aww this is such a cute post!! <3

    ReplyDelete

  2. A counsellor may have recognised skills too, but not necessarily in the form of a masters or doctorate degree.
    In saying this, counseling has its benefits even if it is having somebody to simply listen to you and accept you unconditionally.
    For more information: mental health awareness

    ReplyDelete

Why I walk Parallel London for for anxiety and dyspraxia

On the 3rd of September, my mum and I will be walking Parallel London 10k. Returning from injury my boyfriend Matt is planning to hobble som...