Thursday 29 October 2015

More than just a pet




This is a blog about a dog called Toby. 
I would like to introduce you to someone very special in my life, a border collie who never failed to put a smile on my face who always had a smile on his. Toby sadly passed away in the summer holidays at the grand age of 13. He wasn't just a dog, he was my best friend.

His story wasn't always been full of happiness when we first got him, he had been neglected, not given any toys or had proper food and had flat teeth from where he chewed stones out of boredom, it meant he got very anxious around other dogs- we don't know his full story but despite all he went through he was such a clever, attentive dog, and was the soppiest dog I've ever met. Even when he lost an eye he never gave up.

From speaking to others who may find life a bit more challenging I have found out so much how their pets have had a huge impact on themselves and their families lives. I've been surrounded by dogs all my life, previously we had a bearded collie called Bess, a wire-haired fox terrier called Judy and my parents both had dogs growing up. Walking a dog helps me gain my independence, helps me be aware of the world around me and helps with crossing roads as I know I have to get the dog safely across the road as me. It helps me feel a little bit more confident about going out on my own.

Pets never judge us, they're always happy to see us, always show us love, and appreciate the care we give them and have a wagging tail or a purr when they greet us and can provide comfort, company and happiness in darker times, having a pet can help someone smile, and give someone a little bit of a confidence boost. Toby loved me and my family unconditionally and was never judged when I was bullied and was there when I felt lonely.

When I felt down or anxious Toby could sense it and would come over for a cuddle which had a huge calming affect on me or more often than not he brought one of his many toys, he had an obsession with balls and could play for days, which provided a distraction from my anxiety. Apart from the time I got his ball on a rope stuck in a tree twice on one walk (he was not a happy dog.) He also helped me find my smile on days when I struggled to find one.

To those of you who don't have a pet, it may seem like it's just a pet, but a pet becomes a member of the family, he really was treated like a human and having a pet can give someone so much comfort. I miss how he would be there waiting, ears pricked listening for when he could hear my footsteps and voice coming through the door and then come bounding towards me knowing I was home. I hope he knew passing over the rainbow bridge how loved and wonderful he was.

The biggest lessons I have learnt from Toby is the value of giving people (or animals) time and patience. Also how there are lots of wonderful rescue animals out there looking for their forever home just like he was. 

Until next time....
 



1 comment:

Things take time

Hi everyone I hope you're well? I first began to write this blog back before the first lockdown and have recently got around to re-editi...