Thursday 1 February 2018

Time to Talk Day 2018

Hello everyone, I hope you're well?
This Thursday (1st February)  is Time To Talk Day which is run by the amazing mental health charity Time To Change. This is a day which encourages people to try and talk more about mental health to help reduce stigma and misunderstanding.

Up to 1 in 4 people can struggle with their mental health at some point in their lives, there is a good chance that this is yourself or someone close to you. Mental health conditions as with many disabilities or difficulties are invisible to the eye, so you can't tell by looking at someone what they might be going through. 

The theme this year is about how there doesn't have to be a set place to have conversations around mental health. I have always struggled opening up about my anxiety/low mood and how I might be feeling, I know talking isn't the easiest for everyone and I know from my own experiences anxiety can make you feel like you’re bothering people and opening up can be difficult. Not everyone finds it easy to instantly become an open book about how they feel nor feel naturally confident approaching someone and sharing their experiences. It can take a while for me to get to know me and for me to build up my trust. I’m  so grateful to those who are patient with me about this and for words of support with my anxiety.

Which is why the little things can mean a lot to, simply asking how they are, taking the time to find out more or simply giving a listening ear. I know the little things mean SO much to me. I  try my best to give back and be there for friends and loved ones when they might be finding life a little bit more challenging. I would hate for others to feel what I have or to go through what I have in life. 

We all have a responsibility to talk about mental health, not just on Time To Talk Day, but every day.
Awareness days/weeks are simply so much more than on that day or for that week, awareness and understanding needs to be out there all year round. 

But by generating awareness and helping to reduce stigma we can help others feel less alone and encourage more conversations and maybe empower them to seek help to further support themselves. 

Most importantly,never underestimate the power of kindness, kindness can mean a lot. You’re not alone and I hope by writing this blog it might reach out to someone.

Keep going,
You're a lot stronger than you think you are,
Until next time.....




No comments:

Post a Comment

Things take time

Hi everyone I hope you're well? I first began to write this blog back before the first lockdown and have recently got around to re-editi...