Monday 27 July 2020

Being Patient and feeling enough

Hello everyone, I hope you are well?
We have been living in such unprecedented  times and our daily lives have changed so much over the last few months. During recent weeks lockdown restrictions have been lifted allowing people to get back to a degree of "normal" life. But how and when people decide to do this may be different and it's important to be patient, not just now but generally in life.

The world we live in can be loud and very fast-paced, it can feel like you're constantly trying to keep up with it. It can feel like everyone who surrounds you is just getting on with things, not having to think too deeply or need support. You can feel like asking for help is seen as a weakness, or that being a highly sensitive, anxious, quieter person makes you not enough. But we are all different, we all process life and it's experiences at different times, all with our own unique perspectives and personalities. Some people like myself may find things more anxiety provoking may need more time and may feel things deeply. But being patient with someone can help both you and the other person. It can make them feel valued and heard, especially if perception and low self-esteem are issues.

I recently read a blog by my close friend Immie about the value of a mental health mentor and how as a dyspraxic quieter person, it can take time to not only find the right support but also open up about what is on your mind and experiences. It can take a lot of courage and perseverance to do this. What I am also learning is that we all need help, we're all human and it's ok to find the assertiveness to say if the help you're receiving isn't the right fit for you, it also doesn't make you unkind.

 It's something which I think needs to be talked about a lot more as you can feel like you're going through it on your own.  Being dyspraxic and having anxiety/low mood has always meant I've needed a bit more patience, whether it be with simple day to day tasks, studying or getting to know me. It also means I struggle with fatigue and depression and things can take quite a bit out of me. Being quieter with social anxiety it can feel like you're undervalued and that you have to fight for your voice to be heard. Also what you have to say is of interest or if anyone would want to listen. But the little things can make a huge difference to me and my self-esteem and self-worth. For me, it's made me thoughtful and a good listener and patient with other people and their struggles. 

It's also important to remember to be patient with yourself, and to show self-compassion and not be so hard on yourself. All of which I can find so hard.  Finding ways to express how you're feeling is different for the individual, either written, verbal or even through music and creativity. It takes quite a bit of time and trial and error to find what might or might not help you which I’m still learning. Social media can often create a false illusion of picture-perfect, whilst in reality, we all have struggles we all can find things tricky from time to time. I recently watched one of Stacey Solomon’s Instagram stories where she talked about being unapologetically true to herself and the right people in her life - finding what makes you happy. You might never be everyone’s cup of tea, but to those who love you that will always be good enough.



Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. Whilst I understood the idea that not everyone will like me and that that's okay, I feel like I'm finally starting to learn it. It's so strange when I've spent my whole life trying to please people, but I guess I reached a point where I started to wonder: if I wasn't going to be the person trying to please myself, who was going to do that for me? Take all the time you need, Rosie. You are more than enough x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading lovely xxx

      Delete

Things take time

Hi everyone I hope you're well? I first began to write this blog back before the first lockdown and have recently got around to re-editi...